The Glynn County Board of Education announced today that due to staff shortages they will be temporarily shifting the schools to a home-based virtual model. Under the plan announced today schools will finish this week with school operating normally--but optional-- in order to give parents time to make arrangements. Starting next week, students will shift to virtual learning. Teachers will still report to schools and will teach classes live Monday through Thursday. Friday will be a teacher vaccination event at the schools in an effort to make sure all teachers are vaccinated. The following week includes the Labor Day holiday, so school will be out then, but virtual classes wil resume Tuesday September 7th. Towards the end of that week, the system will reassess.
From the press release sent out today:
Glynn County Schools continues to monitor data and determine appropriate actions from our Return to School Framework.
In our ongoing response to the unprecedented conditions surrounding COVID-19 in our schools and community, our current positive COVID-19 cases have escalated our operational level from Yellow Level to Red Level.
As a result, the following steps are being taken:
- Attendance is optional for students August 25-27, 2021.
- Absences will be excused from August 25-27, 2021.
- Distance Learning will take place during regular school hours through Google Classroom from August 30-September 10, 2021.
- Middle and High School students will follow their daily school schedule; Elementary Schools will provide families with scheduling information.
- Continue to report positive COVID-19 cases to schools.
- No classes will be held from September 3-6, 2021 for the Labor Day weekend.
- Updates on a return to in-person learning will be based on data collected by schools and provided no later than September 10, 2021.
- Middle School sports will be postponed until in-person classes resume.
- High School sports and bands will continue under modifications and restrictions, including daily COVID-19 screenings.
- All GCSS staff will physically report to their work sites for regular work hours.
If you have any questions, please contact your school.